Friday, May 4, 2012

Suadela.


I keep checking the time on the cash register, flashing a look at it every thirty seconds as I swipe the customers orders. Only half an hour until I am free! My face aches from holding a fake smile all day, I can't wait to be done for the night so I can head home. Well, the ride home with Joey is what I'm really looking forward to.
Yeah, I know he's at least thirty and I just turned 18,and he's my cab driver.. but he's cute and charming! we've been actively flirting with each other for the last couple months, so maybe tonight I will do a little more than flirt. The smile on my face is genuine for once as I bag up the last of the groceries and hand them over to the elderly lady in front of me. "Have a nice night, thank you for shopping with us," I beam at her as she collects her things and heads for the door.
 Joey  isn't just the driver of the small cab company I always use, but the owner. I spot the cab sitting next to the store and start to head over. Instead of getting in the back I scoot into the front seat and smile at him. He raises and eye brow and smiles back. "Hey Rae, how was work?" he asks while starting up the car.
"Twas fine, thanks. How is your night going?" I ask in my sweetest tone.
I let my eyes roam over his profile as he pulls out of the stores parking lot. His soft brown curls touch the collar of his shirt and his beard is thick and untrimmed. A small sigh escapes my lips, he is so sexy. "Not too bad, business is looking good. Maybe in a month or two I'll be able to afford another car," He looks over and winks at me.
"So where are we taking you tonight? The party house, or to your humble abode?" he asks.
I laugh, "Why don't you pick for me. Take me any where.." I venture.
Was that too blunt? I wonder to myself. I watch his face to see his reaction. A devilish grin spreads across his lips, making his eyes twinkle. "hm, I don't know about that. Maybe you should just pick for yourself."
I feel a slight prick in my stomach, ouch. "You too busy for joy rides tonight?" I giggle, trying to cover up the hurt I feel.
For the last couple months we've been playing cat and mouse with each other on our trips back and forth to my work. He swipes at me, I scurry just out of his reach. I'm excited to see how he'll react when I swipe back.
"Oh no, it's dead tonight. But I don't think my wife would like me driving around aimlessly with a pretty thing like you," He lets out a jolly laugh that makes my insides hum.
I quickly scope out his left hand again, I was sure I didn't spot a ring before. "Your wife?" I ask, genuinely surprised.
"Yep, been married 6 years now, have 4 girls at home and another bun in the oven," he informs me, with a slight twang of regret.
I raise an eye brow at him. He's never mentioned a wife or kids before tonight. "Ah, so I guess she wouldn't want us heading to the beach for a late swim, huh?" I tempt.
Why am I still flirting with him, he just said he was taken? I gaze out the window to avoid his eyes. Maybe if I act like I don't care either way we can just drop this now. He bursts out laughing instead, "God Rae, I can practically smell your hormones over here!"
I gasp and slap his arm, "No you can not!"
He shakes his head at me and stops the car in front of my house, "Your name should be Suadela, Goddess of temptation," he says in a more serious tone.
 We're here already. Way too soon for me. "That's me, the temptress.." I say, watching him from the corner of my eye.
I begin opening my wallet slowly to pay him, I can feel him watching my every move. I pull out the biggest bill I have so he'll have to count me out change. In an attempt to be sexy I peek at him from under my eye lashes as my fingers brush his hand. It works, he pulls away from my touch as if I were on fire and clears his throat. "Rae..." he starts but doesn't finish.
I don't give him a chance to, I pinch the end of his beard with my fingertips and slowly lead his lips to mine. I run the tip of my tongue over his top lip lightly, just barely. I can smell his cologne and shampoo, it sends a shiver up my spine. I look into his eyes and he hesitates for only a second longer. Soon his hands are ensnared in my long hair and his beard is rubbing like a Brillo pad against my skin, making it red and sensitive. A shiver deliciously creeps over my whole body, making me moan against his mouth. He stops then, untangling my locks from his fingers. "Rae.. You know I want to.. I just can't. I'm a christian man, I have a family that needs me."
He looks away as I sit gasping for air in the passenger seat. My eyebrows knit together as I stare at him. "Go ahead and go inside babe, go to bed," he whispers to the steering wheel as he cranks up the car.
I snatch my change up and slam the door behind me. My insides feel like they have melted and are sloshing around inside me. I lean over and peer into the open window, "Can I text you?" I ask in a small voice.
He sighs deeply and stares ahead. For a second I think he's going to pull away with out responding but then he looks at me and I see the longing in his eyes. Fuel for the fire burning between us. "Yeah babe, you can text me." He whispers, barely loud enough for me to hear over the engine.
Hours later I am laying in bed, staring at my phone. What should I say? What can I possibly say that will be enticing enough to have him come back to me instead of his wife tonight? Slowly I pick up the phone and begin the text, "Do you ever think about me when you're home with your wife?"
I stop and reread the message a hundred times before finally hitting the little green send button. I hold my breath and wait... Maybe that was too much, too far. Even so, even if it was too much, it's too late now. I lay there in the dark with my phone propped up beside me, waiting for it to light up with his response. Waiting to be told to back off, or to keep going. Finally it buzzes, "Matthew 5:27-28" is all the text says.
My breath catches in my throat as I read it again and again. I'm about to throw my phone at the wall when suddenly it comes alive in my hand with another text, "Go to sleep my Suadela, you know I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment